Option 8: Teach for America (TFA)
Teach for America is a nationwide, non-profit organization focused on closing the achievement gaps among students in low-income areas. TFA hopes to recruit candidates via its screening process and prepare them for teaching in Kentucky. It will allow a person in a field other than education to receive a one-year Temporary Provisional Certificate (elementary, middle, and/or secondary) renewable for a maximum of three years, if he/she has met the following conditions:
- Holds a bachelor's degree;
- Has an offer of employment from a local school district in the area of certification being sought;
- Meets the participation criteria for the TFA program;
- Successfully completes all training requirements of the TFA program; and
- Passes all content assessments required by EPSB in the area of certification being sought.