Institute Alternative Route
OPTION 7 Institute Alternative Route
PLEASE REVIEW THE INFORMATION BELOW. THIS ROUTE IS FOR INITIAL CERTIFICATION ONLY. IF YOU FEEL THAT YOU MAY BE AN ELIGIBLE CANDIDATE THROUGH THIS ROUTE, PLEASE CONTACT CATHY WHITE AT: firstname.lastname@example.org
You are a candidate for this route if you:
- Possess a bachelor's degree with a declared academic major in the area in which certification is sought or a graduate degree in a field related to the area in which certification is sought;
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of two and seventy-five hundredths (2.75) on a four (4) point scale or a minimum grade point average of three (3) on a four (4) point scale on the last thirty (30) hours of credit completed, including undergraduate and graduate coursework from a nationally or regionally accredited postsecondary institution;
- Have a passing score on the GRE or CASE as designated by the Education Professional Standards Board. (A candidate who has a terminal degree shall be exempt); and
- Have a passing score on the academic content assessment in the area in which certification is being sought as designated by the Education Professional Standards Board.
Prior to receiving the one (1) year provisional certificate or during the first year of the certificate, the teacher shall complete the following:
- A candidate seeking elementary teaching, the individual shall successfully complete the equivalent of a two hundred forty (240) hour institute, based on six (6) hour days for eight (8) weeks.
- A candidate seeking middle and secondary teaching, the individual shall successfully complete the equivalent of a one hundred eighty (180) hour institute, based on six (6) hour days for six (6) weeks.