Candidates Trained Outside of Kentucky

Candidates trained outside of Kentucky must:

  • Complete a CA-1 paper application. Forward this application to your college for the completion of Section IV on page 5 of the CA-1 paper application;
  • Provide official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate coursework;
  • Supply verification by the Superintendent or Personnel Director of full-time classroom teaching experience at the appropriate grade level(s) (Section 2 of CA-1), if you have out-of-state teaching experience;
  • Pass Praxis II Specialty Area tests for EACH area of certification (if less than two years of appropriate full-time teaching experience) and the Principles of Learning and Teaching test score for appropriate grade range; and
  • Make the appropriate payment through ePay online payment service for certification fees. Please note that any other forms of payment are not accepted and will be returned to the applicant.
All paperwork must be submitted to the Division of Certification at the address located in the footer of this page.

Additional Information: Out-of-state applicants must have completed a state approved teacher preparation program at a regionally accredited educator preparation institution or a state-approved alternative training program. In addition, candidates must comply with the state ancillary requirements such as GPA, testing and internship.

Out-of-state applicants who hold a valid certificate and have completed two (2) years of teaching in the subject area and grade level on their certificate will be waived of the current testing requirements.

Statement of Eligibility (SOE) (Teacher)

  • The SOE allows candidates five (5) years to apply and receive employment as a teacher in a Kentucky school. During the first year of employment, the Kentucky Teacher Internship Program (KTIP) must be successfully completed.
  • If the internship is not completed within the five (5) year period, the applicant may renew the SOE by repeating and passing the assessment program in effect for new teachers at that time or by completing a minimum of six (6) graduate hours toward completion of a graduate program required by administrative regulations promulgated by the Education Professional Standards Board.
  • The option for renewal through completion of graduate hours shall be available only for the first renewal.

Last modified: Monday, April 30, 2018, 2:46 PM