Veterans of the Armed Forces

You are a candidate for this route if you:

  • Were discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions after six years of active duty immediately before the discharge or release;
  • Have a bachelor's degree in the subject matter or related area for which certification is sought;
  • Have a GPA of 2.75 for a bachelor's degree or hold an advanced degree; and
  • Have passing scores on EPSB-approved subject matter assessments.

A candidate meeting these requirements receives a Statement of Eligibility. After obtaining employment, the candidate is issued a one-year Provisional Certificate. Upon successful completion of the Kentucky Teacher Internship Program (KTIP) during the first year of teaching, the teacher receives the Professional Certificate. In addition, veterans may also qualify for the Troops to Teachers program, which offers stipends to qualified candidates willing to teach in "high need" school settings.

Last modified: Thursday, March 8, 2018, 9:47 AM