The Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board issues a five-year Certificate for Superintendent to applicants who:
- Complete an approved program of preparation;
- Have the appropriate requirements for certification, as established in KAR Title 16;
- Have at least two (2) years of experience in a position of school principal, supervisor of instruction, guidance counselor, director of pupil personnel, director of special education, school business administrator, local district coordinator of vocational education, or a coordinator, administrator, or supervisor of district-wide services. Other administrative experience may be substituted for this requirement with the approval of the Education Professional Standards Board.
- Hold a valid statement of eligibility for a Kentucky teaching certificate;
- Completed the preparation program on the basis of criteria developed by the teacher education institution pursuant to 16 KAR 5:010;
- Hold a master's degree; and
- Completed Levels I and II preparation and certification for the position of school principal, or supervisor of instruction; or
For candidates who completed preparation for principal prior to 1988:
- Completion of at least three (3) years of full-time teaching experience, including at least 140 days per year
Additional Information: The professional certificate for instructional leadership - school superintendent shall be valid for the position of school superintendent and assistant superintendent.