Frequently Asked Questions for Certification

How do I apply for a Kentucky teaching certificate?

Candidates for new certification who have completed an approved educator preparation program in Kentucky, or who are seeking a rank change based on an approved Kentucky program. For more information click here.

I was trained out of state; how do I apply for a Kentucky teaching certificate?

Out-of-state applicants must have completed a state approved teacher preparation program at a regionally accredited educator preparation institution or a state-approved alternative training program. In addition, candidates must comply with the state ancillary requirements such as GPA, testing and internship. Testing requirements will be waived for out-of-state applicants who hold a valid certificate and have completed two (2) years of teaching in the subject area and grade level on their certificate. For additional information click here.

I was trained through an out-of-state online program; how do I apply for a Kentucky teaching certificate?

The EPSB's Division of Certification or Division of Educator Preparation cannot "pre-approve" the use of an out-of-state online program for use by Kentucky's educators. Kentucky citizens are advised that out-of-state online programs are regulated by the Council on Postsecondary Education (CPE). Consult CPE's web site about CPE's licensure requirements. No online programs located outside of Kentucky are currently accredited to offer education programs in Kentucky.

The Council on Postsecondary Education (CPE) has the authority to license online programs originating from outside the state, but operating in Kentucky pursuant to KRS 164.947. A college must have a license from CPE to operate in Kentucky. In 13 KAR 1:020, operate is defined as follows:

(1)(9) "Operating or soliciting" means having a physical presence within Kentucky and includes:

(a) An instructional or administrative site within Kentucky whether owned, leased, rented, or provided without charge;
(b) Instruction, whether theory or clinical, originating from or delivered within Kentucky utilizing teachers, trainers, counselors, advisors, sponsors, or mentors;
(c) An agent, recruiter, in-state liaison personnel, institution, or business located in Kentucky that advises, promotes, or solicits for enrollment, credit, or award of and educational or occupational credential;
(d) An articulation agreement with a Kentucky licensed college or state-supported institution; or
(e) Advertising, promotional material, or public soliciation in any form that targets Kentucky residents through distribution or advertising in the state.

These triggers would include any practicum experiences that must be completed in Kentucky's schools for the out-of-state online programs.

If the institution has not done any acts to trigger CPE's regulations regarding licensure to operate in the state, and is National Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preperation (NCATE) and regionally accredited, then the EPSB will review the application the same way it would review any other for a rank change and certification. Although a program is not pre-approved by the EPSB the way an in-state program would be, we cannot guarantee the institution might not make changes to their own program. The "buyer should be aware" that if the institution acts on any of the above triggers for CPE's regulations, your program will not be recognized by the EPSB.

Does Kentucky have full reciprocity regarding teaching certification?

Reciprocity is a term often used when educators need to transfer their certification from one state to another. This does not mean, however, that a state with “reciprocity” will automatically grant the same certification as was held in another state, since each state has its own special requirements. Kentucky is part of the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) Interstate Agreement; therefore, the state accepts recommendations from teacher preparation programs from state-accredited colleges and universities in many states. Cases are evaluated on an individual basis.

The NASDTEC Interstate Agreement aids candidates in gaining information on what the various state requirements are from state-to-state. It may be viewed at: The NASDTEC credential “stages” are shown below in types of KY teaching credentials:

  • Stage 1 -Temporary Provisional certificate (issued for alternate route candidates only)
  • Stage 2 - Statement of Eligibility (issued for all completers of an approved teacher education program)
  • Stages 3, 4 & 5 - Professional Certificate

Kentucky does NOT recognize teaching credentials which were gained in another state only by the passage of an assessment, and applicants must meet the requirements of KY regulations regarding out-of-state preparation as seen at 16 KAR 4:030.

What is recency?

An applicant for initial Kentucky certification must have prepared as a teacher within the five years preceding the application or completed a minimum of six semester hours of graduate credit within the five years preceding application. Applicants who have completed an approved Fifth-Year program (Rank II) and who have two successful years of teaching experience within the last 10 years are exempt from the six hours. For applicants who do not meet the recency requirements, the certificate is issued for a one-year period with the condition that six semester hours of graduate credit be completed by September 1 of the year of expiration.

What is the effective date of my Statement of Eligibility or Certificate?

This is governed by 16 KAR 4:050.

My Statement of Eligibility has expired, and I have not completed an internship. What should I do?

You have two options to re-qualify for a Statement of Eligibility.

  1. An applicant must complete a CA-2 renewal application AND successfully complete the specialty tests (PRAXIS II) in EACH certification field you are seeking. You MUST successfully complete the tests that are required at the present time and meet the passing scores currently in effect. You can get information about the tests at or by phoning Educational Testing Service (ETS) at (609) 771-7395. You can request ETS to submit an official copy of recent scores (less than five years old) to the Education Professional Standards Board. If you complete your testing in Kentucky and provide your social security number on the test administration forms, the scores automatically come to EPSB and you will not have to request that scores be sent to the EPSB.
  2. You may take six semester graduate hours towards completion of the master's degree or planned fifth-year program. This option is ONLY available to you once for renewal of the statement. Have the college or university submit an OFFICIAL transcript of the six graduate credits you have completed for renewal.

What is the status of my application?

It takes approximately two weeks to process an application. All applicants with incomplete applications will receive correspondence from the Division of Certification regarding materials received and items required for completion of the application process.

How do I request a copy of my certificate?

If you would like to receive an unofficial copy of your certificate, you may submit your request by sending an e-mail to

If you would like to receive a duplicate copy of your official certificate, you must submit the CA-2 application AND make the appropriate payment through ePay online payment service for certification fees. Please note that any other forms of payment are not accepted and will be returned to the applicant.

If you would like to receive a business record certification along with your official certificate, please include a handwritten note on your CA-2 application form in Section I, B.1 when you check the box for “Duplicate Certificate.”

How do I add new areas to my certificate?

Kentucky issued certification is generally added based upon completion of an approved certification program. You need to contact a Kentucky college or university. An advisor will evaluate your transcript and outline a curriculum contract listing specific coursework needed. Since each college or university has its own requirements, and Kentucky uses standards-based preparation, you may want to contact several institutions. Under certain conditions, experienced Kentucky teachers may add an additional content area certification or extend the grade level of such a certificate.

Available Certifications

Can I get a lifetime certificate?

No. Lifetime certificates were last issued in 1985.

What is re-issuance?

If a certificate has lapsed as a result of the applicant's failure to meet the renewal requirements, the certificate may be reissued at a later date for a one year period if the applicant completes at least six semester hours of graduate credit applicable towards the master's degree or planned fifth-year program. Information about the planned fifth-year program may be found at 16 KAR 8:020.

Last modified: Friday, February 7, 2020, 2:13 PM