Candidates Trained Outside of the United States
Applicants with foreign training must meet the same academic requirements as applicants trained in the United States.
- A four-year Bachelor's degree teacher preparation program which includes a sequence of professional education courses
- A course-by-course evaluation MUST also be submitted from one of the approved evaluation agencies indicating that the foreign degree(s) meet(s) the above criteria.
- Practice teaching or student teaching component
- A cumulative 2.75 grade point average or 3.0 on the last 30 hours of coursework completed
- Copy of foreign teaching credential (if possible)
- A teaching area recognized by Kentucky as an area of certification
- Teaching experience (if applicable)
Below you will find the application process when coming from out of country.
The CA-1 form can be located by creating/logging into your EPSB account, clicking on the Online Document Submission link under the My Profile section, and downloading application “A: Application for Kentucky Certification or Change in Salary Rank”.
Beginning May 1, 2019: applicants must upload their completed applications through the Online Document Submission portal located in your EPSB account. All documents required for the application except for transcripts and/or transcript evaluations are permitted to be uploaded through your account.
The $85.00 fee will need to be paid online through your EPSB account. If you need assistance with username/password resets or account registration, please contact our Help Desk at (502) 564-4606.
Transcripts:Please see the above reference for transcript evaluations. The official copies of this evaluation will need to be submitted by mail to:
300 Sower Boulevard, 5th Floor
Frankfort, KY 40601
Testing/PRAXIS:If you are supplying the verified two years of experience, the KY PRAXIS tests are not required and you may skip that part of the application. If not supplying the experience requirement, PRAXIS requirements can be found here: http://www.ets.org/praxis/ky/requirements/ If you have tested outside of Kentucky, select the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board (code 7283) to have ETS electronically submit your scores to our office.
PLEASE NOTE: Kentucky does NOT recognize teaching credentials which were gained only by the passage of an assessment.