Candidates Trained Outside of the United States
If you were trained outside the United States, then you will need the following:
- A four-year bachelor's degree teacher preparation program which includes a sequence of professional education courses;
- Practice teaching or student teaching component;
- A cumulative 2.75 grade point average or 3.0 on the last 30 hours of coursework;
- Copy of foreign teaching credential; and
- A teaching area recognized by Kentucky as an area of certification.
Additional Information: Applicants with foreign training must meet the same academic requirements as applicants trained in the United States and submit the documentation listed above. A course-by-course evaluation MUST also be submitted from one of the approved evaluation agencies indicating that the foreign degree(s) meet(s) the above criteria.
Statement of Eligibility (SOE) (Teacher)
- The SOE allows candidates five (5) years to apply and receive employment as a teacher in a Kentucky school. During the first year of employment, the Kentucky Teacher Internship Program (KTIP) must be successfully completed.
- If the internship is not completed within the five (5) year period, the applicant may renew the SOE by repeating and passing the assessment program in effect for new teachers at that time or by completing a minimum of six (6) graduate hours toward completion of a graduate program required by administrative regulations promulgated by the Education Professional Standards Board.
- The option for renewal through completion of graduate hours shall be available only for the first renewal.