Candidates Trained Outside of the United States
Applicants with foreign training must meet the same academic requirements as applicants trained in the United States.
- A four-year Bachelor's degree teacher preparation program which includes a sequence of professional education courses
- A course-by-course evaluation MUST also be submitted from one of the approved evaluation agencies indicating that the foreign degree(s) meet(s) the above criteria.
- Practice teaching or student teaching component
- A cumulative 2.75 grade point average or 3.0 on the last 30 hours of coursework completed
- Copy of foreign teaching credential (if possible)
- A teaching area recognized by Kentucky as an area of certification
- Teaching experience (if applicable)
Below you will find the application process when coming from out of country.
Applying for Certification:
Beginning May 2, 2022, the application for certification can be submitted electronically by creating/logging into your account in the new KECS Web Portal. Once logged in, click on “Start an Application” on the Dashboard page and follow the prompts in the application wizard to apply for Initial certification and submit the required documentation. A certification fee of $85 will be required as the final step before submitting your electronic application.
Transcripts:Please see the above reference for transcript evaluations. The official copies of this evaluation will need to be submitted by mail to:
300 Sower Boulevard, 5th Floor
Frankfort, KY 40601
Testing/PRAXIS:If you are supplying the verified two years of experience, the KY PRAXIS tests are not required and you may skip that part of the application. If not supplying the experience requirement, PRAXIS requirements can be found here: http://www.ets.org/praxis/ky/requirements/ If you have tested outside of Kentucky, select the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board (code 7283) to have ETS electronically submit your scores to our office.
PLEASE NOTE: Kentucky does NOT recognize teaching credentials which were gained only by the passage of an assessment.