Policies and Procedures
6. Procedure: Expense Reimbursement
- Approved November 8, 1999
- Amended March 22, 2004 (with retroactive approval from May 17, 2004)
- Amended on June 18, 2007 (with retroactive approval from January 1, 2007)
Pursuant to 200 KAR 2:006 (8) (1) (h), members of the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board ("the Board") shall be entitled to reimbursement for actual and necessary expenses incurred when on official state business.
Requests for participation and funding to attend non-Board meetings shall be made in advance and in writing to the Chair. In considering approval, the Chair shall consider only those requests that: 1) address adopted board priorities and goals, 2) can be funded within the Board budget, and 3) demonstrate that presence at the meeting is in the interest of the Board. If approved by the Chair, the Board member shall file a written report with the Chair immediately following the approved meeting for inclusion as an information item as part of the Chair’s report at the next Board meeting.
Within provisions of IRS requirements, the following guidelines shall apply to board members carrying out Board business.
Guidelines for expenditures:
- Lodging shall be reimbursed at reasonable, actual expense; a receipt is required. No reimbursement shall be made for expenses incurred by or on behalf of other persons. For direct-billed lodging charges, a Board member must pay for any nights not authorized for payment. Personal incidental charges such as movies, bar tabs, etc. are not authorized and must be paid by the board member when checking out. "Direct-billed" should be written on the expense reimbursement form when hotel charges have been direct-billed.
- Meals shall be reimbursed at actual expense including tax and gratuities (not to exceed 20%) upon the submission of receipts. A credit card receipt shall be accepted for a meal if the receipt prepared by the establishment clearly shows that it is a receipt for a meal.
- Mileage claims for the use of privately-owned vehicles shall be reimbursed at the amount allowed by the state travel regulations. Reimbursement for the actual cost of commercial transportation shall be made upon submission of original receipts.
- When a Board member is on Board business during school hours, the cost of a substitute shall be reimbursed to the member’s district.
- Reimbursement may only be made upon submission of a signed Miscellaneous Expense Voucher detailing the daily incurred expenses, along with original receipts. Requests for reimbursement shall be submitted no later than 30 days after the expenses are incurred. If special circumstances exist that prevent a Board member from submitting a reimbursement form within 30 days, the member shall notify the chair and request an extension.
- Commercial airline travel shall be the lowest negotiated coach or tourist class. Roundtrip or other negotiated reduced-rate plane fares shall be obtained if practical. The traveler’s copy of the ticket must be attached to the expense reimbursement form. No photocopies are permitted. If the ticket is direct billed or an "E"-Ticket (electronic ticket) is issued, "Direct-billed" or "E-Ticket" shall be written on the reimbursement form where the air cost would have been entered and the traveler’s copy is attached.
- Airport parking for the period of the business trip is reimbursable (as is taxi fare should a Board member choose to not drive to the airport and park; however, taxi fare should not exceed the cost of driving and parking). Original receipts are required.
- Business air travel is reimbursed at coach, super-saver or other economy fares. The traveler’s copy of the ticket (passenger "coupon" or red copy) must be attached to the expense reimbursement form. No photocopies are permitted. If the ticket is direct-billed or an "E"-Ticket (electronic ticket) is issued, "Direct-billed" or "E-Ticket" is written on the reimbursement form where the air cost would have been entered and the traveler’s copy is attached.
- Travel advances are not available for travel. With adequate notice, airfare and registration may be pre-paid by the Board.
- Additional expenses shall be reimbursed only with prior approval of Chair.
- Expense reimbursement forms with questionable expenses or with expenses that exceed these guidelines will be held by staff for review by the Chair. The Chair may review the expenses with the Board member submitting the request before determining whether to approve the request.